Tuesday 2 June 2015

Post Number 34 - From Hoplessness to HOPE!

There has been so much development in the last three weeks and I am pleased, relieved and proud to say that we now have three practitioners who are all working together to cure my husband.  Yes you read correctly, "cure".  However, we are talking about a disease that does not have a cure, cannot be surgically removed and cannot be cured or reversed by the modern practices of radiotherapy or chemotherapy, so how can this happen? Can it even happen? Modern medicine would say NO, but I say, Why Not?

It's a giant, complex puzzle, but with the right practitioners on board, we believed anything possible and certainly worth investigating every option.  The Chinese doctors have been working their magic and after two and a half weeks of modifying and testing the homeopathic detox remedy, Mark's kidneys finally starting working properly and heavy metals began appear in his urine.  They also worked on toning his body and increasing his energy levels as well as ensuring his body was ready to accept any kind of medicine to treat the tumour.

Another doctor we have been seeing is a holistic GP in the Adelaide Hills.  He has been ordering all kinds of blood tests to further pinpoint exactly what is going on within Mark's body and making any corrections necessary with IV infusions, specific supplements and diet.  Through his investigations he found a gene mutation which explains the thickness of his blood, which had shown up on a live blood analysis, and also explains the meridian blockage.  The effects of this mutation can easily be managed by high doses of folic acid, which should also help with his fatigue.

The third practitioner is a Naturopath who has treated brain tumour patients in the past.  He provided us with information on a compound called dichloroacetate (DCA) which has been studied overseas with great success and there are clinical trials currently underway in Australia, but of course we didn't have any time to waste, so we began treatment immediately, under his guidance.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-27/cancer-drug-trial-to-start-in-canberra/5842910

Within 24 hours of Mark taking the DCA we noticed an improvement.  One good day followed another and another and each day his mobility improved slightly and he started feeling stronger.  Not even a week later, he was walking down the street at Stirling, when the previous week, the walk out to his office and back to the house again meant complete exhaustion for the rest of the evening.  The changes have been nothing short of a miracle and it couldn't have come soon enough.

Life had become so challenging and I had been struggling with the mental and physical stress of caring for him and for Sebastian.  Endless trips to practitioners and to and from school had taken its toll on me and weekly I would experience migraines, which I had been free of for years.  Each night I would collapse with exhaustion after constantly being on the go from 7am to 9pm.  I was only days away from calling palliative care and seeking some sort of live-in nurse or daily help.  While the Carer Support was helping, I was and still am struggling with other people in the house.  Last week I was privileged to receive the use of a gardener for three hours.  I felt so lucky to have access to this at no charge and set him to work with a list of tasks to complete.  However, days later, when I finally had the time to look over what he had done, I found that he had not completed what I had asked and in fact, has now created an even bigger workload for me, as he has raked up all the existing mulch and left me with nothing but dirt in a large, inaccessible part of our garden.

Similarly, carers have thrown away some of my expensive ingredients, put things away in places which are now a mystery and not followed instructions, leaving more work for me to do upon my return.  Exhausting is the only word I can use to describe the last three weeks.  In-between all of this, I needed to finish two final assessments for College and failing to do this would mean failure of the subject.  Again the migraines came, but with appointments starting to ease, I made the time and completed the work, albeit not at the standard I would have liked, but hopefully good enough to pass.

Last week saw Mark turn 38 years young and I felt compelled to create some sort of memorable celebration for him.  I contacted a select few of his closest friends and asked if they would join him to commemorate his birthday.  Our kind and generous neighbours allowed us to use their "man shed" which is fully equipped with pool table, dart board, lounges and beer fridge and the afternoon was a great success.  Clearly Mark's energy levels were at their peak as he made his way up the hill to the shed, then down and up again several times within the two hours to use the toilet in the main house.  Surprisingly, he made it through the afternoon and did not even seem to feel the effects of such a huge day the following morning.


I feel I want to scream from the rooftops "He's Healed, He's Cured!" but I must remain calm and realistic.  It is still very early days and even if the tumour regresses (which we feel it has), this does not necessarily mean it will be cured or gone completely or even forever.  But, what is important, is that we continue to look at Mark's health in a holistic way.  While DCA may be making a huge impact, it is most likely due to the initial work done by the Chinese doctors, the supplementation and constant watch on his condition by the holistic GP as well as the change in diet toward a low carb, low sugar and higher protein (paleo fits this the best).  As for me, some days are easier to manage than others.  Some days I turn into a screaming banshee if someone demands just one more thing from me or rolls their eyes at the food I have prepared or gives a big sigh when I say "it's time for bed", but I am doing the best I can with the resources that I have.  Seeing Mark improve every day and seeing him try to help me, gives me strength and helps me to push on.  The love we have for each other keeps us going and keep us trying to achieve all we can each and every day.  It may seem an impossible task at times, but looking back at how far we have come in such a short time, gives us hope that there will be a future worth looking forward to, but for now, we take it one-day-at-a-time.


1 comment: